Monday, July 03, 2006

My Babysitting Rates Have Gone Up

Why is it that every time I get into a relationship, I end up feeling like I've adopted a spoiled, selfish, demanding child instead.

I'm not in the adoption business. I don't even like kids. I'm not the Big Sister type. My time with a Little Sister would involve martinis, cigarettes, and attempts at not falling down in public. These are not things for unseasoned children. And I'm not into training future degenerates. I don't have the patience to break down good values and sensibility.

But why do men bear an uncanny resemblance to the child I see in the supermarket throwing a tantrum because mommy won't get him the sugar-riddled sociopath-inducing behavior cereal he wants. I've always wanted to go up to those mothers, and tell them that their child belongs in a cage, and should be poked every once in while with a cattle prod. And it wouldn't hurt to use the cattle prod on themselves either, for producing an unruly, difficult child that now society has to put up with, and eventually jail due to any number of unspeakable crimes he will most likely commit. Thanks to the disgusting cereal he's hooked on and her bad parenting skills, her darling little five-year old has no shame in throwing himself on the floor, and pounding his fists into the grimy supermarket floor just to get his way. Way to go lady!

So anyway, there seems to be a definite parallel in behavior between grown men and five year old boys. And it's starting to grate on my nerves. There are only so many tantrums I'm willing to put up with. And yelling? Yelling?! No one yells at me. NO ONE. My own mother is afraid of my shadow, and there are men that actually think they can raise their voice to me. It's too incredible to get mad at. I don't countenance yelling. And I don't tolerate tantrums.

And yet every man I've ever encountered, has exhibited these traits in one form or another. Maybe I've been looking for something that doesn't exist: a relationship with an adult male. Can't play the game when no one qualifies for the other team.

I think it's a matter of perspective. No, it's not. It's an objective standard. I've decided. Children are the most selfish people on earth. Always thinking about themselves, wanting you to foot the bill, and feed them, and buy them stupid clothes they're going to outgrow in a few months anyway. They should wear clothes that are three years too big in size. This way, mommy saves time shopping, and has more money for important things, like vodka. Men are basically small children trapped in big, lumbering, sometimes unnecessarily hairy bodies. They too are unreasonably selfish. Give me love, give me attention, give me my way or I'll yell and cry. Oh please. Take a pill and calm the fuck down. Here, have one of mine for god's sake. And shut it, before I get my own cattle prod.

19 comments:

Unknown said...

You have my entire, and undivided, agreement. Boys will be boys, and so will a lot of middle-aged men.

SUEB0B said...

Bad weekend?

Anonymous said...

People are oftentimes attracted to the very things that drive them furthest up the wall. I don't know if anyone's really quite figured out why but it does seem to hold true an awful lot.

It's a crazy thing, being human.

Anonymous said...

You sound like you be better off with a woman since you hate men so much!

Anonymous said...

Rut roh someone has encountered your wrath. Here, have a martini and put your feet up sans "children" for a bit.

Anonymous said...

So... you love him?

Jack Burden said...

How dare you write such a thing insulting the maturity of men! I'm going to hold my breath until I turn blue and THEN you'll be sorry.

Courtesy said...

I'm not sure that alcohol addiction is any better than the five-year old's cereal addiction.

Courtesy said...

I'm not sure that alcohol addiction is any better than the five-year old's cereal addiction.

Anonymous said...

NANCY, YOU NEED HELP. PLAIN AND SIMPLE. YOU ARE OVER 30 LIVING LIKE YOU JUST GRADUATED HIGH SCHOOL. I THINK IT IS TIME FOR AA. SERIOULSY. MAYBE THE REASON YOU DEAL WITH LITTLE BOYS IS BECAUSE YOU ACT LIKE A LITTLE GIRL. MAYBE IF YOU WERE A MATURE INDIVIDUAL AND NOT A MONEY HUNGARY HO, THEN YOU WOULD ACTULLY FIND A GOOD PLACE IN LIFE. NOT SOME FOREIGHN COUNTRY LOOKING FOR SOMETHING THAT YOU WILL NEVER FIND. YOU MIGHT HAVE A BETTER CHANCE FINDING THE HOLY GRAIL BEFORE A MAN WHO RESPECTS YOU.

My Life Is God's Comic Strip said...

First of all, I turned 30 just this year. Second of all, this whole business of calling me a money-hungry ho, and acting like I just graduated high school, and that I need AA, and all of that, well, why don't you come over to my parent's house tonight, they'll be out and I'm having a kegger, and you can bring your wallet (only if you want to get lucky, *wink wink nudge nudge*) and we can address your autism, and your sad sad inability to find any sarcasm or irony in anything I write. 8ish good for you?

Anonymous said...

Dear Anonymous,

The only thing that was right in your comment was probably My Life Is God's Comic Strip name - other than that you obviously don't have a clue about the person - so why won't you save your comments to yourself, 'cause if someone needs help it's only you.

And by the way, out of courtesy, with all the criticism at least have the courage to identify yourself.

BS

Billie Murdoch said...

I think I'm just gonna link all of your entries to my blog. This way I'll never have to search so hard to find the words (or the balls) to articulate everything you've said so easily. Effing hilarious.

Anonymous said...

You're killn' me. Love it, good laughs.

Anonymous said...

"Maybe I've been looking for something that doesn't exist: a relationship with an adult male."

The more i think about the above, the more i know its neva gonna happen....

They never grow up, do they?? Or have i been meeting all the wrong peple?!! :-O *even that can be a scary thought*

Anonymous said...

How is your relationship with your father? may be that has something to do with all the wrong men you end up with?

SUEB0B said...

I guess you have violated rule #1 of the blogosphere: do not insult men.

Cowboy Dave Dickerson said...

I just got here and love your blog already. At the risk of taking your irony sereiously, however, I'd like to gently point out that the people we wind up with are no accident. I'm a certifiably nice, non-yelling, intelligent and creative guy (former Hallmark writer, no less!), and I suspect that if we met, we probably wouldn't "click." I'm not sure why---I imagine I'd seem boring or something---but you seem to have been wired with radar that tingles when an insecure shouter comes along, and I'm stuck with something you might call "wimpdar" or "lackofedginessdar." God knows I've tried to fix it, but in the meantime what I mostly do is try not to blame all women for what is clearly my unfortunate taste.

I have no solution, by the way. And if you find a cure, let me know. In the meantime, good luck--and be careful. Yelling is closer to hitting than I'm usually comfortable with.

Anonymous said...

I've been thinking about your tirade for a few minutes now and have to say this: men are probably messed up because of women. See, as children, their moms pour all their love and energy into them (the same love and energy they should give to their husbands, but at that point they probably hate each other). So this creates spoiled little brats. Then those brats grow up and begin dating. Eventually they start dating girls that want to get married. So the spoiling begins again (eg: head every night, etc). Eventually they do get married with a poor girl that now has to deal with a spoiled brat that never had to grow up. Then they have children and the cycle goes on.