Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Guerrilla Warfare - A Guide to Jewish Mothering

This handbook is secreted into delivery rooms around the world and comes in almost all languages. It provides a step-by-step guide on how to manipulate, coerce and guilt a Jewish child into submission.

The existence of this handbook is only provided upon birth or imminent birth of a Jewish child to a Jewish mother. This handbook reveals the intricacies involved in making a person who had the potential of becoming a normal well-adjusted member of society into a neurotic, guilt-obsessed, passive-aggressive Mama's Boy/Girl.

This handbook contains key phrases and silent treatment techniques that are practically guaranteed to be effective, including but not limited to:
  • I gave up everything to raise you. And THIS is the thanks I get.
  • No really, you do whatever you think is right. I mean, who am I to have an opinion? I'm just your mother.
  • Eat. There are people starving all over the world, and you're too good to eat my food.
  • When I was your age, I used to walk five miles to school. Uphill. Both ways. In the snow. All year round. And all you do is want want want.
  • No, it's fine. You go out and enjoy your life. I'll just sit here. By myself. In the dark. *deep sigh*
  • Who am I to want to want to see my son/daughter/grandchildren more than once a month?
  • Oh, you finally called. It's nice to know you remember you have a mother.

Comparisons with other children to make sure your child feels inadequate are key. For example:

  • Did you hear about the Goldstein boy? He got into Harvard. Oy, his mother must be so proud. What I am going to tell the ladies at Temple about you?
  • Did you hear about Shari Klein? She got engaged to a DAWCTA. At least HER mother can rest easy. Isn't Shari two years younger than you?

Enlisting the help of women who have the handbook is also fair game. These women are highly trained and need only minimal coaching and/or information to effectuate the desired result:

  • It's your grandmother. Why haven't you called your poor mother? Do you know the agony she's going through worrying about you?
  • It's your aunt Ester. Have you gone to see your mother lately? Really? You've been busy? Apparently not too busy to go out with your friends, but too busy to see your own mother. I see.

And of course, if all else fails, the secret weapon: Crying. But use this with caution. Over-use of the Crying Weapon will only cause suspicion and backfire.

5 comments:

Aeris said...

Ain't Jewish here. In fact, hardly even religious (though supposedly Orthodox). But I get to hear the exact same stuff daily..
"That's fine, you go out and enjoy your evening, and I'll sit here with your father and listen to him complain"
"I gave you SO much, I spent ALL my time on you and you can't even spend one evening a week with me??"

Anonymous said...

Saying "Hi" on every blog I hit through blog explosion today. So Hi!

kyknoord said...

Ahahahahahah [snort]. Brilliant!

Jack Burden said...

You know, it's funny. My mother pulled a lot of the same stuff (though to a lesser degree) but she was raised Catholic. Maybe Catholics and Jewish people can finally unite over guilting their children.

Anonymous said...

Nice site. Interesting but not what i was looking for on http://www.assoholics.com. So I will bookmark it for another day and return when the time is right. For now. I am off to find some good information on great ass picture. So caio.. and have a great day!