Thursday, February 15, 2007

BFs 4 Eva'

So I managed another foray out into Athens in the desperate attempt to make some friends. I joined a group of expats on Yahoo who actually go out and DO things. And by DO things I mean they get drunk and eat Thai food. A match made in heaven.

So I show up to the local Hard Rock on Saturday night, with my boyfriend in tow, because “God knows who these people are!!!!” and “It sounds to me like it’s just a group to facilitate casual sex!!!”

Turns out the group is mainly comprised of English people. Now, I don’t know too many English, but I’ve always been a fan. I mean why not? Great accents, razor sharp humor, some good movies (Love Actually). Hey, let’s all be friends!

From what I've seen of the English in New York, they're usually drinking it up, falling all over the place, singing for no particular reason, and basically doing anything they feel like. Pretty much my kind of people.

Apparently, the English are not fans. Oh no, not fans of the Yippee Ka-yey Americanos. Nope.

“Ohhhhhhh, you’re American? Let me guess, New York?”

You know, said with that condescending Thurston Howell III clenched-tooth underbite. The whole “Muffy, dahling, how on earth are we going to get off this island? And where are my bloody cucumber sandwiches?!”

“So, what do you do here?”

“Well, right now I’m a desperate housegirlfriend, but I’m looking for a job and some Greek lessons.”

“Oh, how nice for you to have absolutely nothing whatsoever to do all day. I think I know some American girls who live in your town and also do nothing all day. I should introduce you, it would seem you have a lot in common.”

“Wow, so charm school is required in England, huh? Valedictorian, were you?”

“Yes, well most Greek lessons are at night, because the people that come here generally have to work during the day. Not that you have that problem. But I’m sure you’ll find something. The University offers classes, and it’s not that expensive, although from the looks of it, money doesn’t seem to be an issue for you or your boyfriend.”

“I think you and I should exchange Best-Friend charms, because really, I haven’t felt this kind of love since my ex-husband tossed me across the room and called me a whore. Come here and give me a hug!”

Instead of trying to make friends, I’m probably better off sitting on the corner, dousing myself in gasoline and setting myself on fire. Not that anyone would notice such an everyday event anyway.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Girl,

Guess what? You have 2 new fans of the blog!! It's Debbie and Regina.....from Rivkin, remember us?? So you moved to Greece!! Wow, we will come over and be your new best friends if you want....you know we're all about drinking, smoking and hell we'll even eat some thai food.

Jane said...

Argh - I apologise for my ignorant fellow nationals. What can I say? every nation has arseholes, seems ours don't go to New York they go to Athens.

Anonymous said...

DOESN'T YOUR MAN HAVE FRIENDS? DON'T THEY HAVE GIRLFRIENDS THAT YOU SHOULD OF BEEN INTRODUCED TO ALREADY. ALSO I KNOW YOUR AN ATTORNEY SO I'LL FORGIVE YOU BUT, HEY YOU SPEAK ENGLISH, SO WHY NOT TEACH ENGLISH CLASSES IN GREECE. GOOD MONEY IN IT. I KNOW, I KNOW WHY DIDN'T YOU THINK OF THAT, IT'S BECAUSE YOUR A LAWYER, WE FORGIVE YOU

Anonymous said...

Love the way you write! Only wish you'd blog more often - ya know about bits & brits, or anything for that matter!

Keep that sarcasm coming, and good luck with your new BF's;-)

C.

Anonymous said...

Yeah. You may not want to mention you're American when you're not in the USA.

Skip the Jewish part to.

Especially skip the Jewish part. And the American part.

Anonymous said...

*too

Big Kahuna said...

Very Nice - Your blog rocks - always has from its' humble begnnings. Amazing transformation to now from NYC haven, married married and legal expert.

You are doing a great job representing your countrmen and women!

Anonymous said...

Wahhh, somebody recognized you for what you really are, huh? I guess not even another continent can change that.

channahboo said...

Hmmmmm... Bad Brits... down boys!
Not all us Brits are all that bad... I swear if you came to Israel I would get you in touch with some great Brits all up for Thai Curry and Boozing... mainly the boozing really!

Don't let the pats get you down!

Unknown said...

Urgh. I apologise for my people. It's not you: it's us. And more than that, it's the general stereotype we get fed by our press based on people like your President.

We never really got over losing the Empire...

Chris said...

Are you sure he wasn't French;)

Chris
My Blog

carrotpenis said...

Are their any Irish expat clubs there. They also like to drink until they are swervy and but tend to be much more friendly.