Thursday, January 19, 2006

The Circle of Life

It was a sneak attack. The morning after I took the subway with one of the partners, he shows up in my office all smiley-friendly, oozing good will. That should have been my first warning. "Have any time?" he asked. That's not really a question. Partners don't ask associates questions. They give orders in the form of questions, akin to the rules in Jeopardy. Questions are generally a prelude to impending misery. It's a warning shot to prepare yourself. He doesn't care if I have time. He's going to give me an assignment, and he wants it done, even if it means I don't get to shower or sleep for the next four days. That's what I get for being polite and making small talk on the subway. I should never stray from my usual no-eye-contact scowl. Even with people I know. Once we leave this building, all bets are off, dammit, I shouldn't have to pretend to care about your kids and flooded basement on my time.

"Sure," I chirp, cooperatively. As if "take this assignment and shove it" was an option. He proceeds to tell me about a really great case, very big, lots of work, sexy stuff. You know, because securities are sex-E. There's a team already working on it, but they haven't really been giving it the attention it needs, so of course, I'm being brought in to do the grunt work that the maladjusted first-year freak won't do. I hate that weirdo. And I hate that I have to pick up his slack. And I hate that the partners don't have the balls to say, "Hey, Weirdo, just because you're a FREAK doesn't mean we're not going to ride you like we do all our other associates, potential legal action by you alleging autism discrimination be damned!"

Two days later, at nine p.m., an even more senior associate and I are toiling away in the conference room, again, reviewing "important" documents, when Freak comes in with a small stack of papers, and tells us he's going home. GOING HOME!!!

Now I'm not one to pull rank, but there is definitely a chain of command in a law firm. If someone more senior than you is working on a case you are assigned to, you go NOWHERE without clearing it with them first. And you don't announce you're going home. You ASK if it's ok to leave. And you better ask in an overly solicitous, annoyingly-attentive waiter kind of way. There's no free-will in a law firm. We are all cogs, cogs in a hierarchy. And you my dear little Freak Mensa-sex having friend, are on the bottom of the food chain. So grab some Vaseline and just relax.

I shot a look of incredulity at the more senior associate. A look that screamed, "Hey! Do something! Say something! Look at all this work we have to get through!! This is anarchy!!!!"

He looked at me levelly, supremely unperturbed by this troubling display of egregious (unwritten) rule-breaking. I think I even witnessed a barely perceptible shoulder shrug. I was beside myself.

"Aren't you going to say anything?!?!" I demanded. He just looked at me. "Not to Freak. But the partner will hear about it. And so will the executive committee. Fucking tool. I've got a wife and kids at home with an hour and half commute between us. Freak's going to pay."

Now, if the Executive Committee hears about this, Freak can kiss 30% of his potential raise goodbye. I didn't want him to lose money. I just wanted him to do his share of the work. Oh well. Maybe some of that money will come my way. There may be no "I" in team, but there is "Me." Sucker.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Law sounds worse than friggin' management consultancy...

Jess said...

The hours seem about as good as the hours I keep working in higher education. The pay does seem better, but I think I might have slightly less stress.

rev. billy bob gisher ©2008 said...

careful sounds like he may have photos of folks in well, uncomfortable moments.

ab said...

you go girl! i hope you get your fair share of that 30% - you more than deserve it!

Anonymous said...

I hope you don't get the money. I love your blog, but you are so up your own arse it's truly untrue! Just take a few pills to calm yourself down & let people do their own thing without you pontificating about any of it. Chill out, girl. You'll end up looking so old before your time if you don't. Just some advice. . . But I do love your blog--> so v funny.

Anonymous said...

Getting lazy or just no good stories.....POST ALREADY !
:)

My Life Is God's Comic Strip said...

WORKING, WORKING, WORKING, SLEEPING, WORKING, WORKING, WORKING, MAYBE WASHING HAIR, WORKING WORKING WORKING WORKING WORKING, DROPPING DEAD.

Anonymous said...

It's time for you to quit your job and move. Take your stories from all your years and move to a place where time moves a little slower.

Your life is worth more. You aren't meant to work all the time at the expense of your livelyhood. A especially for people who don't appreciate what you are doing.

It's time. Make the jump to writing and you'll find fans and a new perspective in life.

Best of Luck,
GOD