Tuesday, April 11, 2006

F.I.R.E.D.

I just got fired. Not laid off. Not let go. But fired. FIRED.

Fired from a job that provides me with the monetary rewards to pay a mortgage, own a car, pay back my school loans, take occasional vacations, and go out anytime, anywhere.

But then again, I was just fired from a job I LOATH. Fired from a job that keeps me awake on Sunday nights with anxiety. Fired from a job that requires every single ounce of strength I have to get out of bed in the mornings. Fired from a job where I do not get along with the partners I'm assigned to. Fired from a job that is too far from where I live. Fired from a job that has totally made me rethink my decision to become a lawyer.

The funniest part is what the partner said when he fired me, "We need to separate from each other. Things just aren't working out. I'm very sorry. You have 30 days." I was like, am I getting fired, or are you breaking up with me?

I didn't say anything, besides, "Ok" "Fine" "Not a problem." I know why I was fired, and I wasn't going to argue. If you don't get along with the specific people you work for, then it's just a matter of time. What can I say, my personality didn't suit theirs, probably because I have one.

The best part is that on Friday, I requested and was approved for vacation time and I bought a ticket right away to see my European Lover in 30 days. So now, my one week vacation has become an open ended ticket, because I don't have a job to come back to. (Silver lining people - island hopping in Greece in May is NOT a bad way to go....)

My European Lover wants me to stay with him. Permanently. He's said some weird things that I don't know how to react to, things that start with "W" and end in "ife", "M" and "arry", and maybe an "Us" in there somewhere, I don't know. Oh, did I mention that life with him would be idyllic? Being financially independent at 30 does that for people, I guess.

Ah, decisions decisions.....

16 comments:

unreuly said...

good on you for keeping a positive attitude. and you're brilliant...i'm sure another firm will be lucky to have you!
have fun in greece in the meantime!!!

Courtesy said...

Sometimes being released from a relationship (especially ones that you hate) can be the best thing to ever happen to you.

Run with it.

running42k said...

That was surprising. Doesn't sound like you are too broke up about it so I don't know whether to say congratulations or I'm sorry.

Enjoy Europe.

Spinsterella said...

Congratulations!

There are millions of jobs. You might even find one you actually like...

ab said...

make sure santorini and rhodes are on your list of greek islands. you won't be sorry :)

Anonymous said...

Wow! Have a blast in Greece...i'm guessing the lover isn't Jewish and not willing to move the States, right?

Unknown said...

I'd say that sucks, but it quite clearly doesn't, so maybe you should see it as a sign... ;)

Have a FAB time in Greece - the weather's great this time of year!

Anonymous said...

I'm sad, not for you because you got fired but for the sheer loss of comedic material that we will lose as a result. No more crazy subway rides to work, no more girl-on-girl lawyer action billed at $175 an hour, no more moronic co-workers, no more showing up to work hungover. I got news for you girl, happiness isn't very funny. Pain and suffering, now that's something you can hang your hat on. What's next? Marriage to a doctor and your mom not nagging you for being 30 and single? Oh the humanity....

Anonymous said...

CONGRATS!
I got fired frmo a job I loathed. I was only pissed cause they beat me to the punch. I went to work nauseous and left crying from stress... ooh the memories. It was the best thing that happened to me, I was getting complacent in my misery there. Hey, and at least you get to go to Greece.

Anonymous said...

I'm sure it will work out for the best!

Lisa Ann said...

Unemployed and single? Oh vey! Your mother is going to plotz!

It's funny how things work out isn't it? Makes you wonder about fate, destiny and all that other stuff.

Emma The Good said...

Sleep in for the next two weeks. It's the best part of being newly unemployed! I always say that I'm "on Hiatus," my Sitcom is off for the summer and I'm hanging out in Beverly Hills at Spago sipping the drink du jour and marveling at some blonde starlet's boob job. Alas the truth is that I'm accross the street from the financial district trying to decide what to have for lunch (burger? sandwich? salad?) at McDonald's.

Fun things to do for the newly unemployed:

1) Watch people walk to work while sipping a latte at Starbucks. Note the depressed and miserable faces. That was you last week. Smile smugly.
2) Go shopping on Fifth Avenue (around Rock Ctr.) for lunch (charge up a credit card and deduct it from your taxes as a business expense a.ka. "new interview clothes for pseudo job hunt") Look at the anxiety-ridden faces of the lawyers and secretaries desperate for extra minutes in the sun prior to returning to their hell holes. Smile smugly.
3) Take a book to Central Park during the weekday (or if you're not into sun, go to the Met) Savor the thought that you couldn't have done this last week. Smile smugly
4) Think of the suckers at your old office trying to reconstruct your files. Remember the shredder that you filled up and emptied about thirty times before your left. Smile smugly.

That's all I've got! I hope you can update your blog from Greece, it's a fun read!

Jane said...

That's one hell of a silver lining you go out and grab it Girl!

Anonymous said...

That sucks. Those bastards. Maybe you'll end up across the table from them one of these days, at a deposition or something, and you can get some sweet retribution.

rev. billy bob gisher ©2008 said...

is his name yanni by any chance?

JDateJoe said...

It sounds like it was well overdue, and you seem like someone who typically wants to cut to the chase so to speak, so you should definitely welcome this happily with open arms. Congratulations!!!