Friday, March 17, 2006

For the "Anonymous" Dr. David

"Have you thought about going to different synagogue functions? Lots of men and their families are there...."

"Mom, leave me alone, I don't want to find the kind of guy that spends his Saturdays at Synagogue."

"Well, you can go to functions, you know, for holidays, special events. I'll come with you, we can go together. You need to find a husband. How much longer do you think you can stay single?!"

"Mom, listen to me please. And listen very very carefully. I'm not going trolling through the synagogues of Manhattan looking for a husband like a homeless person digging through garbage for food."

"Well, for god's sake, what are you going to do? Just go!"

"No. No no no no NO NO NO NO. NOOOO!"

So I'm at Synagogue last night for a party.....

Last year I was on JDate, and I received an email from a very nice, very handsome man who just moved to New York from Australia? England? I can't remember, but I do remember after talking to him on the phone, that he had a great accent, and really wanted to get together.

Since I had already been out with 98.3% of the Jewish male population in NYC, and had the neurosis to prove it, I started to adopt an "I know everything about dating" attitude.

And based on my vast experience, and hard earned knowledge, I decided that this guy isn't ready to start dating seriously, because he just moved here, and he will invariably want to play the field before he settles down. So I refused to go out with him. Because, like I just said, I know everything.

Last night, he was at the Synagogue party. He was easily the tallest man there. (Ok, not hard to achieve at a Jewish function, but seriously, he was like a head taller than everyone else.) With the bluest of blue eyes. Lean, well dressed. Handsome. Crisp white shirt, open at the collar, under a very nice suit, confident stance, charming smile.

I thought, wow, maybe I should go talk to him. He looks pretty good.

And as I moved through the crowd, watching, debating whether I should go, I notice a tall brunette standing next to him. Often. And then, is that his arm around her waist?! What?!

His FIANCEE. YES!! His fucking fiancee. That he met last year, right around the time he moved here. Jesus fucking Christ.

There's a reason I'm still single, and it might have everything to do with ME.

It's a good thing I know everything though, that should keep me warm at night......

4 comments:

Jane said...

I'm sure he had a deep character flaw that you sub conciously (sp?) picked up on.

What filled me with horror was the thought that your mother was offering to go with you to these shindigs. :-O

Glad you were strong.

Unknown said...

Noone is ever as good as they seem; he'll be screwing their nanny within 18 months. No great loss.

Women's intuition has evolved this far for a reason. Don't give up on it now.

Anonymous said...

just another way of life fucking with you :) Be Strong !

Thanks for the fix

D

Anonymous said...

When you see something you like, go for it. If you don't someone else will -- and you'll be stuck with your thumb in your ass.

I think you suffer from 'analysis paralysis.'