Monday, March 27, 2006

Things I have done in the past four days that I am WAY TOO OLD to be doing:

I am too old to hang out at a sports bar by myself after my girlfriend left to meet her date.

I am too old to suck a jello shot out of the waitress's mouth in front of a bunch of guys.

I am too old to let the waitress suck a jello shot from my mouth.

I am too fucking old to be doing jello shots.

I am too old to work up the nerve to walk across the bar to talk to the JFK Jr. look-alike, only to find out he's 26 years old, and says things like, "yo bro."

I am too old to go to sleep on my friend's couch and show up to work in the same clothes as the day before, plus one ill-fitting sweater on-loan.

I am too old to get drunk off of one glass of wine at five in the afternoon.

I am too old to be doing vodka shots at my friend's wedding.

I am too old to go traipsing around the streets of Washington DC in an evening dress with three men in tuxedos, looking for a party at two in the morning, WHEN WE WERE JUST AT A PARTY.

I am too old to dance atop furniture at various establishments.

I am too old to pass out in my strappy gold high heels with pretty flowers on them, and a full face of makeup.

I am too old to be having platonic sleep overs with an old acquaintance, just because we are too drunk to be able to function.

I am too old to be so hung over, that I almost passed out on the plane and threw up in my sister's car on the way home from the airport the day after the party.

I am too old to have only vodka, ice-cream and butter in my fridge when I get home.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totally disagree. You're just now old enough to do those things. Just think, in ten years you'll be old enough to get drunk and do naked cartwheels in the middle of the street.

Jane said...

Just add orange juice to the list of things you need in your fridge and you'll be fine.

Too Old? Nay lass.

Anonymous said...

please don't tell me about being too old to do certain things... I'm dating a 24 yr old!!!!

Anonymous said...

I think you're fine as long as you dont yack on grandma and grandpa's front lawn again...

Jack Burden said...

Yeah, that's sort of the point of getting old, isn't it? To stop giving a shit?

I realized this when I was having beers with ateacher from my high school (I was in college at the time) who was only about 55 but had a big white beard so he played "old" role well.

Whenever he wanted another drink, he would shout to our waitress, whether she was 5 feet away or 500 feet a way, "Miss, another drink here!"

If I tried that shit, I'd get tossed. I can't wait to be old and start shouting at people without fear of repurcussions... sweet.

Anonymous said...

Wow! Keep writing and let me live vicariously! Sounds like a fun long weekend!

ab said...

so then what does it mean when you're still doing some of these things at 39?!?

i think you're all good :)

carrotpenis said...

It's the hangovers that make me feel the oldest. That and going to the bars and finding out that I'm the answer to who are those fucking old people.

Anonymous said...

I'm too old to do that and also have to answer the question "Mommy, I can't find Barbie's surfboard/backpack/lipstick" etc. at 6:30 am... to which my respond is "Sweetie, have you learned to make coffee yet?"