Tuesday, March 21, 2006

It's Quality, Not Quantity

One of the most frustrating things I encounter with my family is their complete and utter incredulity that I can't seem to find someone. And they very openly and very clearly blame me for it.

I don't know how to impress upon them that its not as easy as it used to be. It just isn't. I know so many wonderful women, educated, successful, fun, interesting and really beautiful, inside and out. And we're all in the same boat.

The thing is, it's not a problem to meet people. The problem is meeting someone you can stand for longer than the period of time it takes you to finish your drink before you consider pretending a seizure just to make him go away.

One of my biggest problems is meeting someone age appropriate. (Age appropriate means he should not start a conversation by asking what school I go to, or what year I am. My year? IT'S 30!!!!! And it's about 10 years too old for YOU!! Now go home before you break curfew. Your parents must be worried sick. And stop trying to convince me you like dating older women. I don't like baby-sitting or changing diapers.)

Another problem is meeting someone who is looking for a relationship. Meeting 40 year old worldly art dealers tooling around in Bentlys and selling Picassos, who want to take me out to fancy dinners and fancy cigar bars for intimate drinks is all well and good. But they're still embroiled with their first wives, and their second wives...and their 21 year old "girlfriends." And I'm not interested in entering their little rotation of women.

And then there are the nice Jewish boys I know, the ones who are educated, successful, interesting and fun. They've got so many issues, their issues live in complexes together and share laundry facilities.

What happened to you guys? YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE, YOU READ MY BLOG!!!!!! They have no idea what they want, they flitter from one girl to the next, one minute they like her, the next they don't, then again, maybe they do, but then, hey, who's over there? Well, maybe they should ask their mom what she thinks.....Like dogs chasing their tails around in circles.

All I have to say is that my grandmother would never survive the dating world today. She'd end up in a studio apartment, with an unsatisfying job and an unhealthy number of cats. Men and women don't have that symbiotic, he earns the money, she takes care of the house, relationship anymore. No one I know needs anyone else. At least, not in the traditional sense. But my family doesn't seem to realize that the elements holding their relationships together don't necessarily work anymore. It's a different playing field now.

So maybe I'll find someone. Maybe not. But I'm going to try to not stress about it. Especially when some of the women I know who want to get married to the traditional Jewish doctor-type have resorted to dating much younger men, or even ethnic men (not too many Asian Jews out there....) or even European men who live thousands of miles away, who propose using your old wedding band. Ahem. At least I have an out. I could always buy a one-way ticket to Europe, marry someone who's wonderful and never have to work another day in my life. THAT does not suck.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Plus, if you moved over here, you wouldn't have the family on the doorstep.

Go to be a plus...!

Anonymous said...

OUCH!!!!!
man badbaccht am?

My Life Is God's Comic Strip said...

Listen, I love the comments, but I have no idea if you're badbaccht or not, when you sign as anonymous. Most likely, you are crazy, but not badbaccht. Like the rest of us. Especially if this is the anonymous Dr. David....

Anonymous said...

:)
Dr. D

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx said...

Yeah, these guys we know are fucked up. I don't know what is wrong with them....

Unknown said...

So... why are you not with the European? What is it that you're looking for that he doesn't have...?

(And I agree: men suck. I was taken on a first date to the supermarket last night. English guys seemingly have no greater clue than Americans.)

My Life Is God's Comic Strip said...

The European has everything I want. He has absolutely everything. Except that I'm rather terrified to move to a new country. And I feel guilty leaving my family....I disgust myself with my cowardice.

Anonymous said...

well,
I was 30 when I met my fiancee. I was single , jewish, a doctor, cute , people told me I was the perfect catch.. ( if i hear that one more time) I dated after my 8 year relationship for 6 years. I went 10 years older... 5 years younger.. dated 3 gay men ( they might be in denial, but please) All of your experiences ( even the mom telling you to go to temple for fridays ) Im not gonna tell you that dating is fun, it sucks. Andanyone who tells you otherwise is lying. I tried Jdate, match, its just lunch.. all of it. Turns out I knew my fiance for 2.5 years before we started dating.. He is 5.5 years younger and when he started coming on strong.. I said no way... I m in no place to change diapers. He was persistant and I had just gotten railed by some asshole who was cheating on his girlfriend with me... ( I was infatuated with this creep... who inceidentally came back after I started dating to say he wantts to marry me) My fiance always says now " Its a good thing you were so depressed and in a bad place, you probably wouldnt have given me a change otherwise." and ya know he was right.
Think of it this way,
1) men die first
2)the yonger ones are more trainable.
so Im gonna be 32 in 2 weeks... and hes 26. And if you had told me Id end up with him... I would have laughed you out of the room.! I dated big butchy football players... I am marrying the cheerleader. ( no joke..he was a U of M cheerleader) I found the girl guy., whose not gay YEA!
So I guess my morale is... Sometimes being at your last straw lets you look at someone , maybe in a way you wouldnt have before...although you proably already know this.
Good luck

Anonymous said...

and what's so wrong with dating ethnic men?

My Life Is God's Comic Strip said...

There is nothing wrong with dating ethnic men, but ethnic men are usually not traditional Jewish doctor types, which is what the women were originally looking for. I'm simply pointing out the difference between what we say we want, and what we actually end up with.

Anonymous said...

may be , just maybe that some of the guys reading your blog are either in the same predicament, or maybe again just maybe happily grabbed by another one...
so ... no generalizations!!
but hey life on your own terms is the best way to face this world aint it?? n ya, the family will always talk!! so there